Located in downtown Mill Valley, The Outdoor Art Club is a nonprofit, philanthropic, member-run organization supporting Mill Valley and its surrounding communities since 1902.

Inspired by the “City Beautiful” urban design movement of the 1890s, its 35 founding members sought to promote the civic value of public parks and natural outdoor spaces in Mill Valley. Today, our 400 members continue to advocate for conservation and open space preservation while also supporting the cultural arts and other civic endeavors that enhance the vitality of Mill Valley’s community. Membership in the club is through sponsorship by a current member.

The Clubhouse

The Outdoor Art Club’s Clubhouse was designed in 1904 by renowned architect Bernard Maybeck and is a Registered Historical Landmark. It is available for rental by the public.

Shortly after the Club’s founding in 1902, its members decided to build a clubhouse. They funded the purchase of four empty lots on Blithedale Avenue by selling shares for $10 each, then hired renowned local architect Bernard Maybeck to design the building. Completed in 1904, the OAC clubhouse is a classic example of Arts and Crafts architecture that has been designated a historical landmark by the State of California and is recorded in the National Register of Historic Places. Its total cost — including Maybeck’s fee — was $3,315.


The Outdoor Art Club’s early projects included building a school playground and garden, providing shelter, food, and clothing for San Francisco earthquake victims, and sponsoring and housing Mill Valley’s first public library. More recently, the Club joined other conservation organizations to support the Audubon Canyon Ranch Wildlife Preserve, plant trees in over 30 acres of El Dorado National Forest, conserve the Corte Madera tidelands, and save the Butterfly Trees of Muir Beach, to list a few.