In 1902, a group of women outraged by the removal of old growth redwoods near Mill Valley’s train depot, decided to form a women’s organization dedicated to environmental conservation and the beautification of public spaces. Later that year, the Outdoor Art Club was established with 35 founding members. In 1904, the club moved into its clubhouse, designed by architect Bernard Maybeck, in downtown Mill Valley.
The Outdoor Art Club’s early projects included building a school playground and garden, providing shelter, food, and clothing for San Francisco earthquake victims, and sponsoring and housing Mill Valley’s first public library. More recently, the club joined other conservation organizations to support the Audubon Canyon Ranch Wildlife Preserve, plant trees in over 30 acres of El Dorado National Forest, conserve the Corte Madera tidelands, and save the Butterfly Trees of Muir Beach.